Spring keeps making small appearances and trying to happen. Not only does it make us want to pack up the ski’s and snowsuits, but also dust off our hiking gear and enjoy the wilderness. Living on the west coast, there is no shortage of hiking trails or ski trails around the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, and the Sunshine Coast (by the way, did we tell you we are delivering to the Sunshine Coast now? How exciting!).
On hikes (or the ski hill) you always need a good supply of snacks, here are some of our favorites!
The craze that is here to stay. Loaded with good fats to keep you going when you need that kick in the middle of your trek through the woods.
It says “trail” in the name! The classic trail mix is the perfect companion to your day in the fresh air. Loaded with healthy fats from nuts and seeds, it will fuel you up the entire day.
Throw in your bag or stick it in your back pocket. Grab some in your next delivery, or make your own.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Process 1 cup of pitted dates in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Chop 1 cup of almonds into slivers and combine them with dates in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups rolled oats and 1/2 cup dried cranberries to almond/date mixture and stir.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup honey and 1/2 cup almond butter and warm over low heat.
- Pour honey and almond butter over dry mixture and stir ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer to a square baking dish lined with parchment paper and press down to flatten.
- Let bars harden in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The options are endless when it comes to hiking and skiing snacks. Let us know what your go-to trail bites are in the comments below or using #spuddelivers