Looking to try eating more plant-based this year? It’s easy to transition with a few simple plant-based pantry essentials. Check out these plant-based pantry staples below and simple ways to use them!
When eating a plant-based diet, it is important to ensure you are getting a variety of plant-based proteins. Try out these options below in your favourite dishes!
- Tofu – Add to your favourite stir-fry or curry recipe! Try Pre- Marinated tofu or tempeh for easier application!
- Tempeh – Marinate and fry, to add to a salad
- Plant-Based Veggie Burgers – Great for a quick protein packed meal! Try chopping them up in a salad or wrap!
- Veggie Ground – This is a simple substitute to add to tacos or pasta to replace ground beef!
- Protein Pasta – A simple way to up the protein in a quick dinner, pair with your favourite sauce and vegetables!
- Beans & Legumes – Add to tacos, salads and sauces
It’s no surprise dairy is one of the hardest things to substitute when transitioning to a plant based diet! Below are some recommendations from some plant-based wizards on the SPUD team.
- Non-dairy milk
- Non-dairy coffee creamer
- Plant-based yogurt
- Plant- based cheese – there are a variety of plant based soft and melting cheeses to substitute your favourite dairy cheeses
Nuts & Seeds:
Nuts and seeds provide a variety of healthy satiating fats and are also a great substitute in plant-based creamy sauces. Nut butters are great for snacks and salad dressings!
- Cashews – the base to many plant-based creamy sauces like cashew ranch!
- Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Flax – great for adding protein and healthy fats to smoothies and oatmeal!
- Pumpkin seeds – packed with iron! Great to add crunch to salads
- Tahini – Perfect for making creamy salad dressings!
- Nut Butters – Perfect for snacking with apples, desserts and smoothies!
Spices & Flavour Boosters:
With a stocked pantry, it’s easy to add flavor to your favourite meals! These 5 staples are in many plant based-sauces
- Nutritional Yeast – a plant-based essential for adding cheesey umami flavor to sauces and dressings
- Tamari or Soy Sauce
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Milk – Great for curries
- Dijon Mustard
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Simple healthy whole grains are a great cost-efficient way to bulk up your meals!
- Oats – Easy Baked Oatmeal
- Whole Grain Pasta
- Stir-Fry Noodles – Try these 30-minuet peanut noodles
- Wholly Buffalo Cauliflower Bites – You won’t miss chicken wings one bit with these veggie packed buffalo bites!
- Medjool Dates – Great for a sweet treat! Try with peanut butter or dark chocolate
- Energy Bites + Granola Bars
- Dark Chocolate
- Popcorn – Makes a great healthy snack! Try it with sea salt and nutritional yeast!
- Crackers – for snacking with dips