Washing your hands is the most important thing to do. Make sure you get in between all your fingers and sing Happy Birthday while you scrub your hands. Sometimes we do not have access to soap and warm running water, like when you are out at the park with the kids, or riding public transit and someone sneezes and grabs the pole.
Most hand sanitizers have an antibacterial agent called Triclosan, which can be a concern to some, so why not make your own? All you need to make this natural hand sanitizer is three ingredients and a squishy bottle. This recipe includes lavender and tea tree essential oils, both of which have natural antibacterial properties, and smell great!
Here is what you need to make your own natural hand sanitizer:
- Rubbing Alchohol of 70% or higher
- Aloe vera gel
- Lavender essential oil
- Tea tree essential oil
- Other essential oils of your choice (optional)
- Small 1-2 oz squeezable bottle
- Fill your bottle about 2/3 way full of rubbing alcohol
- Add 10 to 15 drops of each essential oil
- Fill the remainder of the bottle up with aloe vera gel
- Shake it up and toss it in your bag to use when you need it!
Disclaimer: Please wash your hands. This recipe is an alternative until you can get to wash your hands properly.