There’s nothing quite so impressive at a potluck as a pie. Make it extra easy on your future self, and prepare the filling ahead of time. This blueberry pie filling can be frozen or canned, so it’s ready to go at a moment’s notice when you decide that you must have a pie.
BLUEBERRY PIE FILLING
• 4 cups blueberries, washed
• ¾ cup sugar
• ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp cornstarch or ClearJel*
• 1 cup water or blueberry juice
• 3 ½ tsp lemon juice
1. Prepare your hot water bath, jars and lids for canning.
2. Blanch your berries, drain, and place in a covered bowl or pot.
3. Mix your cornstarch and sugar in a large pot. Add water and heat until the mixture thickens. Then add your lemon juice. Keep stirring!
4. Add your berries to the mixture. Stir gently until the mixture begins to bubble. Cornstarch thickens quickly, so have extra water on hand and don’t overcook it.
5. Fill your prepared jars with 1 inch of headspace, and gently tighten.
6. Process for 30 minutes in a hot water bath, or according to regulations for your altitude.
*ClearJel is a special kind of cornstarch that’s been modified to be suitable for canning. It doesn’t break down in acid food mixtures or thicken too much in heat. It’s recommended by the USDA as an alternative to cornstarch If you’d prefer not to use it, you can make the filling without thickener and add flour to thicken after you open it. Simply bring the pie filling and flour to a simmer, stirring constantly until it has simmered for five minutes.