This is one of the easiest vegan cheeses you can make. It’s tangy, herby, salty and delicious – and sure to satisfy all your dairy-free feta desires!
If you’ve never tried plant-based cheese before, don’t be so quick to turn up your nose. What was once relegated to a sad block of weird tasting soy cheese in the corner of a health store is now a thriving market full of plant based options. Vegan connoisseurs are using a medley of ingredients including cashews, sunflower seeds, hemp, macadamia nuts, tofu, coconut, and even potatoes (hellooo nacho cheese) to cook up unbelievable cheese-like concoctions.
Making your own vegan cheese can be quite a process at home, often involving soaking your nut/seeds and maybe even letting your cheese culture for weeks. In comparison, this feta is very “no muss, no fuss” and can be whipped up in 5 minutes. While not quite the same texture as marinated dairy feta, this recipe is an equally delicious explosion of flavour.
For the herbs in this recipe, use your favourites or whatever you have on hand. Generally speaking, think about using herbs that you might find in Italian and Greek cooking, or an herb de provence mix. You can use both fresh or dried herbs. Feel free to eat your tofu feta right away, but if you let it marinate overnight, the flavours from the herbs will have more opportunity to soak into the tofu.
Marinated Tofu Feta
- Pressed or firm tofu (350-400g)
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Herbs, chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Slice your tofu and gently press the slices in a clean tea towel to remove some moisture. Once pressed, chop the tofu into cubes.
- Combine all ingredients except tofu in an air tight container and mix.
- Add tofu in, close the container and gently flip the container to coat tofu. (An air tight container is important here! If you don’t have one, just toss the tofu with a spoon.)
- Ideally, let the tofu marinate for at least 4 hours. The longer, the stronger the flavours will be.
You can also marinate slices of tofu, rather than cubes, and add them to sandwiches. Now you’re ready to add tofu feta into any salad, vegan charcuterie board, wrap, or just eat it straight from the container.