This is na-cho regular cheese sauce. Which is good, because whether it comes from a can, a gas station, or a baseball game, it’s not usually very healthy. On the other hand, this recipe is made with whole foods (vegetables!) and is surprisingly delicious.
I’ve served it to non-vegan friends at parties and brought it to “taco salad” themed salad club at Spud HQ (yes, it’s fun: learn how to start your own!), and it’s always a hit. You can serve it up with some tortilla chips and salsa, drizzle it on top of fully loaded nachos, use it to dress your burrito bowl, or throw it on some pasta for a zesty vegan mac and cheese. Who knew potatoes and carrots could create such a tasty sauce?!
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups white or yellow potatoes
- 1 cup carrots
- ¼ – ½ cup water (to desired texture)
- 3 tbs neutral oil (I like avocado or olive)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 3 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno juice
- A few pickled jalapenos
- salt, to taste
- Optional: 2 tbsp tapioca starch (gives a bit more cheesy and gooey texture)
|GET THE FULL RECIPE|
Want some salsa to go with your nacho cheese sauce? Why not get creative with a fruit salsa, check out these 5 fruit salsa recipes.