Do you have a red onion sitting in your fridge? Maybe you used a few slices on your veggie burger and now you’re not sure what to do with the rest. Other than eat more burgers – that’s always an option. I don’t think I’m alone here? But there is another option and it’s almost as beautiful as it is delicious: fridge pickled red onions!
Not only will this preserve your onion for longer, pickled onions also makes a tangy and delicious addition on your burger, salad, avocado toast, or whatever else you can dream of putting them on. Bonus: they’re super pretty and add a nice pop of colour to your meal!
Easy Fridge Pickled Red Onions
- 1.5 cup sliced red onion
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- Thinly slice the red onion and sliver the garlic clove (if using).
- Add the salt, and sugar with water to a pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once the salt and sugar have dissolved, move the pot off the heat and add in the vinegar.
- In a canning jar add the onions. If you’re using garlic, spread the slices evenly throughout.
- Pour the warm liquid into the onion jar and seal with a lid.
- Let the onions cool for around 45 minutes before storing in the fridge.
- They can be eaten once cooled, but it’s best to wait at least overnight.
They should last for 3-4 weeks in the fridge, if you can manage to keep them around for that long.
Feel free to jazz up this basic recipe with other herbs and spices that suit your taste, and be sure to let us know how it goes if you do!