The internet is a fantastic place to find food inspiration. Every now and then, we find our Instagram feed filled with one particular recipe. And when it goes viral, we call it a food trend–from mermaid toast, to Buddha bowls, to golden milk. While many of them tend to come and go, there are certain game-changing recipes that we eventually adopt and keep in our culinary repertoires.
What are cloud eggs?
The latest food trend to dominate the food blogs is cloud eggs–because you can never have enough ways to prepare eggs. Seriously, there’s an Instagram page solely dedicated to cloud eggs. They’re basically egg whites beaten into stiff peaks and baked in the shape of clouds with the separated yolk topped right in the middle. It’s as aesthetic as it sounds–like golden rays bouncing off mellow and lustrous clouds. Too melodramatic? You have to make it to believe it.
How to make cloud eggs.
What you need:
1 slice bacon, chopped
2 tbsp grated cheese
Pinch of salt
Fresh chives, chopped
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, placing them in separate bowls.
- In the bowl of egg whites, whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in bacon, cheese, and chives.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spoon the egg whites into two mounds, rearranging into the shape of clouds with a well in the middle to fit the yolk.
- Bake for 3 minutes before plopping the egg yolks into the centre. Season with optional salt and pepper. Bake for 3 more minutes.
- Serve on toast!
Have you tried cloud eggs? Share with us your thoughts and your favourite ways to prepare eggs!