One of my favourite ways to beat the heat is with cool, refreshing foods. You already know about our Watermelon Slushies and our creamy cantaloupe popsicles, but what’s the ultimate refresher to cool you off? Mango lassi.
First, what’s a mango lassi?
Lassi is a tangy-sweet cooling yogurt drink that’s popular throughout the Indian subcontinent. Think smoothies, but creamier and with fewer ingredients. While lassi can be made from a variety of fruits, the most common option is mango.
While mango lassi is drunk year-round, it’s most common during the summer. If this drink can work its refreshing magic in the humid Indian heat, it can definitely help us out for an early summer heat wave out west.
Depending on your flavour preferences, your mango lassi can vary. For sweeter versions, add a touch of sugar. For tangier, spicier options, add a sprig of mint or a touch of spice. For this recipe below, we’ve tried to reach a middle ground: the perfect combination of sweet, tang and spice.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 2 mangoes (frozen optional)
- 2 cups milk of choice (if vegan, use a neutral non-dairy milk like almond or oat)
- 1 cup ice cubes (not necessary if using frozen mangoes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup light coconut milk OR ½ cup yogurt if not vegan
- Optional: top with fresh mint
- Blend all ingredients well.
- Serve into 2 glasses.