This grilled veggie and halloumi burger takes “cheese burger” to a whole other level! It’s a delicious vegetarian option for your next BBQ – but maybe make extra because even meat-eaters will be ditching their beef burgers for them..
Never heard of halloumi? It’s a unripened, semi-hard cheese that originated in the Mediterranean. Halloumi is sometimes compared to mozzarella in appearance, but it’s denser, saltier and has a high melting point – which makes it perfect for the grill!
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 3 burger buns
- thinly sliced veggies for grilling (we like zucchini, onion, tomatoes and red bell peppers)
- lettuce or arugula
- Cut the halloumi into 3 slabs.
- Place the halloumi and the grilling vegetables on a medium hot grill. Grilling for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Prep burger buns with pesto, mayo, and the greens of your choice.
- Add the grilled halloumi and veggies to the buns. Enjoy!
Pro tip: grilled halloumi also makes a great appetizer!
How do you eat halloumi? Let us know in the comments below.