I got into the spooky mood of the season in early October when delivering to a Squamish home. While looking at the walkway display I had the feeling someone was watching me. That’s actually fairly common, since driving through a neighbourhood in a large van painted as a giant Spud billboard, you tend to get attention. But when I looked up – just for a second – I thought the ghoul in the window was a super creepy person, looming over me.
All good fun and a couple weeks later when I spoke with the customer I congratulated her on it. Its effect was exactly what she was hoping for.
Halloween gives people a chance to be creative, not being limited by the traditions of religious or civic holidays and since their work is only up for a short time, I thought I’d collect a few visual anecdotes and share.
Is it just me or with each passing year are there more and more people putting time, money and effort into home decorations designed to amuse and spook us? I for one am a fan – seeing how it brightens up the deepening autumn.
Written by Peter Louwe
Incurably curious, Peter likes to find stuff out and tell other people about it. A former journalist, he believes if brevity isn’t the soul of wit, it is at least a virtue.
Favourite Gluten-Free Items Available at Spud May National Celiac Awareness Month, but every day Spud…
Using Spud User Profiles - Shipping to Alternate Addresses We make it easy to shop…
Home Gardening Tips in Western Canada Our resident gardening expert and Director of Produce Micky, …
- Marine Collagen vs Bovine Collagen I’m sure you’ve heard about collagen. Most people add i... posted on October 16, 2017
- HERE’S WHY YOU SHOULD USE AN ALUMINUM FREE BAKING POWDER Have you ever gone in for what you had hoped might be t... posted on October 19, 2018
- HOW TO FREEZE YOUR OWN FRENCH FRIES Saving time is one of most important factors in prepari... posted on November 4, 2018
- 10 VEGETABLES YOU CAN REGROW FROM SCRAP For those of us who live in an apartment or without a y... posted on February 6, 2018
- WHICH IS THE GASSIEST BEAN OF ALL? Have you ever felt like it’s your absolute calling to s... posted on February 14, 2017
- Homemade Soft PretzelsSeptember 26, 2023These homemade soft pretzels are the perfect fall […]
- Handling Halloween Candy – Tips from an Intuitive Eating DietitianSeptember 21, 2023Halloween for Kids: Building Positive Relationships […]
- Apple Pie CookiesSeptember 18, 2023These apple pie cookies make a delicious alternative […]
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee CreamerSeptember 18, 2023Skip the Starbucks, and make your own healthy pumpkin […]
- Creative Thanksgiving SidesSeptember 18, 2023Put a spin on traditional Thanksgiving sides with […]