Before we embraced vegetarianism then veganism, like most of the population, we were omnivores and one meal I made often was chicken divan. My children loved it and though for us it was an everyday meal, I know lots of people who made it as a special meal served when they had company. For me it was easy and a great way to get my kids to “eat their broccoli”. Since becoming vegan, I have successfully adapted my recipe to satisfy my lifestyle. With broccoli on sale right now, this might make a yummy dish for you too.
What you need:
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tbsp avocado oil (or other tasteless cooking oil of your choice)
3 tbsp organic flour
1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups broccoli, cut into pieces
2 cups sliced Gardein chick’n (or another chicken substitute)
1 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds (or any vegan cheese you prefer, shredded)
How to Prepare (serves 4):
- In a saucepan, lightly sauté minced garlic in avocado oil until soft.
- Slowly add flour to garlic oil to form a thin paste and gently cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in cashew milk until you have a medium-thick sauce, then remove from heat.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Steam broccoli for 4-7 minutes (it should be bright green and lightly cooked).
- In a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish spread broccoli evenly over bottom.
- Spread sliced Chick’n over broccoli.
- Spread sauce evenly over Chick’n and broccoli.
- Evenly sprinkle shreds all over and sprinkle with paprika (if using it).
- Bake at 350C for 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and Divan is bubbling.
I serve this over noodles or rice with a side salad. Enjoy!
Ingredients can be increased or decreased according to your requirements.
Susan is our resident vegan. She’s been a vegetarian for 20 years, and a vegan for 3. She has researched both lifestyles extensively and is constantly exploring new recipes, add her own twist. She is a long time SPUD customer, and now our very own resident vegan blogger!