Biota Fermentation Carrot Cake is just what you need for a delicious gluten-free, vegan, healthy treat.
Pickled carrots are balanced and flavourful, making them perfect for a variety of meals. They can be used for carrot cakes, salads or as a savoury side dish. Natural fermentation provides a subtle earthy sweetness to this crispy treat. SPUD also has other products from Biota Fermentation including fermented mustards, sauerkraut and cauliflower that make a wonderful addition to holiday snack boards. These artisan delicacies are handcrafted by Chef Brad Hendrickson in Vancouver and full of living cultures that are oh so good for your gut health.
Biota Fermentation Carrot Cake
A delicious vegan carrot cake made with Biota Fermentation’s pickled carrots.
163g Bob’s Red Mill AP Gluten-Free Flour (GF Flour)
87g Anita’s Oat Flour
25g Be Fresh Baking Powder
1g Simply Organics Nutmeg, ground
7g Be Fresh Organics Cinnamon, ground
250g Wholesome Sweeteners Brown sugar
35g Flora Flax Meal
185g Maison Orphee Organic Sunflower Oil
40g Be Fresh Organic Flame Raisins
215g Everland Coconut Flakes
150g Biota Fermentation Spiced Pickled Carrots
Cream Cheese Icing
125g Rawesome Cashew Cream Cheese, room temp
300g Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Fair Trade Icing Sugar
250g Nuts for Butter vegan butter, room temp
5g vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon into a bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together flax powder and water. Let hydrate for 15 minutes.
- Now add vegetable oil to the flax mixture.
- Slowly whisk oil and flax mixture into dry ingredients
- When combined fold in carrots, raisins and coconut
- Line a baking sheet or loaf pan with parchment paper and coat the edges with non-stick spray
- Turn out batter and spread evenly across the pan
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes on a baking sheet or 45-50 for a loaf pan until the center is cooked through. The Center should reach 205-210F.
- Beat together icing ingredients and spread once cake cools