After a long winter of constrictive socks and boots, your feet may have morphed into rough, flaky claws, but don’t worry! You’ll have those hooves looking sandal-ready in no time with an easy DIY foot scrub and foot soak. Showing your feet some love is actually an ancient ritual. Chinese medicine believes that we can cleanse our body by cleansing our feet, as they contain a ton of pressure points that are connected to various organs in our body. These scrubs and soaks are all rich in enzymes and nutrients, which will help release toxins from your body, alleviate stress, and even help relieve tension from your head.
These recipes also showcase the beauty of having a few bottles of various essential oils in the cupboard. Essential oils offer so much in terms of aromatherapy benefits and medicinal properties; not to mention that they will completely take your foot scrub and soak to the next ‘at-home spa’ level. My personal favourites to throw in various DIY projects, such as homemade soaps, candles, or cleaning products are tea tree, lavender and peppermint. Even though they typically come in cute, little bottles, they’re a good investment as a little can go a long way.
So now that you know that you can experience full body relaxation through the pampering of your feet, what are you waiting for? Barefoot season is nearly over, and that steamy, aromatic foot bath is calling.
Tea Tree, Olive and Sea Salt.
- Ingredients: Handful of sea salt, two tablespoons of olive oil, and 5-10 drops of tea tree oil.
- A tantalizing combination of earthy scents! Grab a handful of sea salt, and throw it into a bowl. Add two tablespoons of olive oil, then mix in a few drops of tea tree or peppermint oil. Mix these ingredients into a paste, and scrub all over your feet and lower leg. Rinse with warm water.
Rosemary, Rose petals and Sugar.
- Ingredients: Few sprigs of rosemary, petals of 1 rose, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- To prepare this foot scrub, use a mortar and pestle to grind together the rosemary and rose petals–don’t overdo it, you want the texture to be rough. Mix the pounded ingredients with your sugar, then add in the sesame oil to form a paste. Give your feet a good scrub, and rinse with warm water.
Coconut, Peppermint and Sea Salt.
- Ingredients: 3 tablespoons of pure coconut oil, 1/2 cup of salt, 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Mix the salt, coconut oil and citrus juice to form a paste. Rub all over feet and lower leg, then rinse with warm water. The nourishing properties of the coconut oil combined with the exfoliation of the salt makes this scrub an amazing remedy for dry feet.
Green Tea, Lemon and Honey.
- Ingredients: Hot water, 3 bags green tea, half of a lemon, and 3 tablespoons of raw honey,
- Prepare your basin of hot water, and place the tea bags to steep for five minutes (or until the water’s temperature is cool enough for your feet). Remove the tea bags, squeeze out your lemon juice, and add your honey into the basin. Soak your feet in this solution for 20-25 minutes, then pat dry. Adding a few slices of lemon or orange can be a nice touch too!
Chamomile Tea, Lavender and Honey.
- Ingredients: Hot water, 6 chamomile tea bags, 1/2 cup of Epsom salt, 10 of lavender essential oil, and 3 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Prepare your basin of hot water, and place the tea bags to steep for five minutes. Remove tea bags, and add the Epsom salt, lavender oil, and honey. Let your feet soak for twenty minutes, then pat dry. Chamomile is helpful has certain anti-inflammatory properties which help to moisturize feet and heal dry and damaged skin.
Baking Soda, Bergamot and Rice.
- Ingredients: Hot water, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 10 drops of bergamot essential oil, and 1/2 cup of rice.
- Boil the rice in enough water that you have 2-3 cups of rice water left over. Add the baking soda and the bergamot essential oil. When the water is cool enough, soak feet for twenty minutes, then pat dry. The baking soda in this soak makes it ideal for those with stinky feet, while the rice water enhances blood circulation in your feet, which is good for your whole body.
Coconut Milk, Clove and Cinnamon.
- Ingredients: Hot water, 1 cup organic coconut milk, 10 drops of clove essential oil, teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Prepare your basin of hot water. Add the coconut milk and essential oil, then use a teaspoon and sprinkle the cinnamon over the top of the soak. Soak feet for twenty minutes, then pat dry.