While the world begins to realize the magnitude of plastic pollution in our oceans, an equally alarming threat is being faced by our aquatic neighbors. A number of fish species and crustaceans are in decline due to conventional, commercial fishing. According to the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), about one-third of the globe’s fish stocks are overfished (1). This reality, among many other issues found in the fishing industry, was recently highlighted in a documentary called Seaspiracy.
For many seafood lovers, the need for sustainable seafood is well-known and appreciated. Unfortunately, many consumers find it challenging to make informed shopping decisions that reflect their sustainability-related values. According to one study, “91 percent of Canadians feel it is important that seafood comes from sustainable stocks, however, only 8 percent feel they have adequate information about how their seafood [is sourced]” (2).
This is why Spud is proud to be a partner of the Ocean Wise Seafood program.
What does it mean to be Ocean Wise?
The Ocean Wise Seafood Program is a conservation program whose mission is to make it easy for consumers to make sustainable seafood choices. Ocean Wise works with over 40 organizations through the Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions to strengthen and grow the sustainable seafood community (3),
A type of fishing practice or aquaculture system is deemed sustainable by Ocean Wise when “species are caught or farmed in a way that ensures the long-term health and stability of that species and the greater ecosystem” (4). Information about how and where suppliers harvest seafood is collected by Ocean Wise from seafood suppliers. If suppliers meet a certain standard, then Ocean Wise labels the seafood with their logo.
Sustainable Seafood at Spud
When shopping on Spud, you will see the Ocean Wise logo on our seafood. When you see this logo, you can trust that the product has been harvested using sustainable practices. Whenever possible, we source third-party certified sustainable seafood (certified by organizations such as Ocean Wise and MSC). Our priority locations are from the west coast of Canada, seeking wild-caught first. We strive to only sell line-caught tuna and certified sustainably farmed and exotic seafood.
When sourcing new companies to work with there are many aspects of their business we review and audit, including:
- Humanely and ethically sourced
- Oceanwise/ MSC (Maine Stewardship Council approved)
- Wild and line caught fish
- RWA (Raised without antibiotics)
- Certified Organic
- Ethical supply Chain (non-local suppliers & mainly fisheries)
Learn more about Ocean Wise Seafood here:
1) Ocean Issues. Ocean Wise. http://seafood.ocean.org/sustainable-seafood/ocean-issues/
2) Murray, Ryley. WWF Finds 91 percent of Canadians feel sustainable seafood is important. WWF Canada. 2011. http://www.wwf.ca/newsroom/?uNewsID=9521
3) Ocean Wise Responds to the Seaspiracy Film. Ocean Wise. https://www.aquablog.ca/2021/03/ocean-wise-responds-to-the-seaspiracy-film/
4) About The Ocean Wise Seafood Program. Ocean Wise. http://seafood.ocean.org/about-ocean-wise/