Meet Kula Kitchen’s, Asha Wheeldon with Locals for Locals.
Check out her kitchen and make chapati, a popular flatbread from East Africa that you can enjoy on the side with stew and veg now available on Spud.ca.
Kula Kitchen Chapati Recipe:
3 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of warm water
1 tsp. of salt
4 Tbsp. of any vegetable oil
1. Place all dry ingredients in the mixer or bowl
2. Add 1 tbsp. of oil while mixing dry ingredients
3. Add water gradually paying close attention to dough texture and mix or knead for 10 minutes
4. Add 1 more tbsp. of oil and continue kneading or mixing
5. Place dough in a bowl, cover and allow to rest for 30-60 mins
6. Divide dough into equal parts and roll out flat, spread oil and fold dough away to make long strand noodles like. Then roll into a cinnamon bun-like shape
7. Cover dough and allow to rest for 15-30 mins
8. Dust flour on the surface and rolling pin and begin rolling dough flat to even circle
9. Using frying pan, heat on medium and place dough on the pan
10. Using a frying pan, heat on medium and place dough on the pan pressing down with a spatula or clean cloth
11. Brush Oil on one side, flip and brush the other side with oil and remove off heat
12. Cover chapati with clean cloth and enjoy when ready
13. Enjoy with our Sukuma stew, Portobello curry or spicy Chick-un stew and a side of sautéed vegetables.
Made this at home? Tag us on social media using @spuddelivers. Looking for other local recipes? Check out Kokomo’s Chickpea Curry next.