- 3 cups whole-grain flour (I used Namaste Brand, a gluten free option)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine the maple syrup, applesauce, molasses, and white vinegar in a second medium bowl.
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat. Add 1 cup hot water to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing, but be careful to not over-mix. The mixture should be quite thin.
- Transfer the batter to a 9 x 13-inch glass pan. Bake for 30 minutes instead of 35
- Cool in the pan and let sit until caramel topping is ready.
- Mix ingredients in a small saucepan and over medium heat mix until it comes to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once sugar is no longer granular and mixture is thickened, pour over gingerbread in pan. Enjoy!