This recipe creates a simple but delicious meal from items that you most likely already have in your kitchen and with the free run chicken you just bought (or got for free when you joined SPUD using the promo code CHICKEN, welcome!). This recipe serves two but can easily be doubled if you are planning for more company.
The main ingredient:
- 2 free run boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips of even thickness
- 1/2 cup of tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 teaspoon fresh, minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (add as needed)
Other ingredients (to jazz things up):
- Add sesame seeds or add some lime juice to top!
- Pair with steamed vegetables and rice
- Lay the chicken out on a greased baking dish.
- Stir the tamari, water, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic together in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once it has boiled for about two minutes, lower the heat and slowly add the cornstarch until the sauce is a desired thickness and the sugar and cornstarch have dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and spread evenly over the chicken breasts. Flip the chicken breasts over a few times to make sure all sides are coated.
- Use aluminum foil to cover the chicken and place in the fridge for a few hours to marinate.
- Once you are ready to start baking, heat your oven to 400 degrees and remove the baking dish from your fridge. When your oven is at the right temperature, bake the chicken for about twenty minutes or longer if the chicken is not completely cooked through.
- Serve over rice with steamed vegetables. You can also sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions over top or you can put these ingredients in small dishes for self-serve at the dinner table.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min