Sugar Pie Pumpkin
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Slice the sugar pumpkin in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds (you can roast later)
- Place the pumpkin halves cut-side down on the sheet pan.
- Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the pumpkins have partially collapsed, and the flesh is very soft and is beginning to pull away from the skin.
- Scoop out the flesh and puree until smooth in a food processor. Store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for later.
Homemade pumpkin puree is thinner and more watery than store-bought canned pumpkin puree. If you use it as is, the higher water content can affect baked goods.
To thicken it to your desired consistency, strain the pumpkin puree in a sieve lined with cheesecloth over a bowl. Discard any liquid (or use in soup) and use as directed.