Unique Ways to Upgrade Boxed Mac & Cheese
The ultimate comfort food, and dinner you can never get sick of – a box of mac and cheese. Whether you are after a little more nutrition, looking for a slightly elevated flavor, or just want to prove you can make something more gourmet than a box of mac and cheese – check out these simple and creative ways to upgrade your boxed mac and cheese!
Make a simple healthy dinner by pairing one of our all-natural mac and cheeses with the hacks below:
- Swap butter for Greek yogurt or cottage cheese to amp up the protein!
- Stir in some frozen vegetables: spinach, frozen broccoli or riced cauliflower work well
- Add in a protein! Try: canned tuna, shredded chicken, baked tofu, or frozen edamame
- Try this boxed mac and cheese made from chickpea pasta and vegetables!
- Add in some extra protein, flavour, and healthy fats with a simple vegan parmesan!
- Blend: 1/2 cup cashews (sub any nut/seed), 2 Tbsp hemp seeds, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/4 tsp each onion and garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt. Store in your fridge.
Amp up the protein! Mix with a can of bean chili and top with extra shredded cheese.
Buffalo Fiesta Mac
Spice it up! Add pickled jalapenos, nacho spiced kale chips, and buffalo sauce!
Take it up a notch – add some extra shredded cheddar or toss chicken tenders or tofu in buffalo sauce!
Use a white cheddar mac and cheese, stir in frozen peas and coconut bacon (recipe below), and top with parmesan or black pepper.
- 1 cup of coconut smiles
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Toss all ingredients and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let cool to get crisp before serving.
Add in sundried tomatoes, fresh basil or pesto, and feta cheese.
Best with white mac and cheese, take it to the next level with one or all of the below:
- Stir in extra shredded cheese, try a sharp cheddar or gruyere
- Add buttery bread crumbs – use panko or blitz a slice of bread and fry with butter in the pan
- Stir in a bulb of roasted garlic
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley