- 4 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 28oz cans of tomatoes or 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2/3 cup cream or 1/2 cup cashews
- Salt and pepper to taste
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Bread of choice (we love sourdough)
- Cheese – try sharp cheddar or gruyere
Heat butter or olive oil in a medium pot. Add in chopped onion and garlic and fry on medium until translucent and fragrant.
Add in tomatoes, chicken or vegetable stock, and basil, and boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cooking cream and use an immersion blender to blend until creamy. Or add to a blender with cashews and blend.
To make the grilled cheese croutons butter each side of the bread generously. Add in sliced or shredded cheese, grilled in a frying pan or panini press until golden and cheese is melted. Cut into cubes to top the soup.