For the broth
1 whole, small-sized chicken, feet and neck included
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon (loosely packed) finely chopped sage
1 teaspoon (loosely packed) finely chopped thyme
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 large carrot
1 large stick of celery
For the soup
2 litres of chicken broth (extracted from the broth-making recipe)
2 cups shredded chicken meat (extracted from the broth-making recipe)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots
2 – 5 cloves garlic minced garlic
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon finely grated turmeric
1 cup (loosely packed) finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup (loosely packed) finely chopped fresh coriander
1 cup dark leafy greens (kale, collards, chard) or chopped broccoli
Generous seasoning of sea salt
For the broth:
- Get your broth ready by placing the whole chicken (including feet, necks, wings, etc) in a large stock pot with herbs, vegetables, onions and vinegar. Using vinegar is essential, as it helps pull the minerals out of the bones and into the stock. Cover with cold water.
- Cook at a strong simmer, partially covered, for about 90 minutes. You can tell that the chicken is ready when the meat can be easily separated from the bone.
- Remove the carrots and celery, but keep the onions and herbs in the stock. Drain liquid from the meat and set aside.
- Separate the meat from the bones so that you have at least 2 cups of shredded chicken to put into your soup. Throw extra into your soup if you’d like, or save it to throw on chicken sandwiches and salads!
- Measure out your broth. You want about two litres for your soup.
For the soup:
- In a cooking pot, add finely chopped celery, carrots, and a dash of olive to cook on medium heat. Simmer for between 3-5 minutes, or until you see the vegetables soften.
- Add your stock and shredded chicken meat to the cooking pot. Bring everything to a gentle simmer and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, spices, and greens. Simmer for another minute or two. Remove pot from heat, and add the coriander and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!