For blood orange puree
- 3 medium blood oranges washed well and sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups blood orange puree
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice of 1 blood orange
- About 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup raw pistachios (optional)
- Bring sliced blood oranges and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool and Carefully transfer to a blender and blend on high power until completely smooth. Measure out two cups, (save any leftovers for a smoothie or cocktail).
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a baking pan. Melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, combine two cups of the blood orange puree with the melted butter and egg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour the orange mixture into the flour mixture and gently fold together until just combined.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Carefully invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make glaze, whisk together juice and confectioners’ sugar. Pour over cake once it’s completely cool and garnish with the chopped pistachios (optional)