We’ve all been there – you go to buy cabbage for one recipe (and it is massive), and then it sits in your fridge for a week. This post will go over 5 unique cabbage recipes to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck with each cabbage purchase!
Why we love Cabbage:
- It is great value, cabbages are quite cheap for how many meals you can squeeze out of them
- They keep for a while! Before cutting cabbage can last up to a month in your crisper drawer! After cutting a half or quarter head can last for about 3 days
- They grow locally in BC and Alberta
- It is rich in nutrients such as vitamins C, A, and E!
How to use Cabbage:
1. Use it in a slaw
Perhaps the most common use for cabbage! Cabbage is a great way to add colour to salads and bowls, either eat on its own or use in a taco!
Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Thai-Inspired Peanut Ginger Slaw
2. Make Cabbage Steaks
A great way to use a lot of cabbage at once. This is an underrated method of preparing cabbage, did you know when it is cooked is becomes caramelized and crispy much like a brussel sprout?
Roasted Cabbage with Ginger Lime Root Slaw and Cashews
Tahini-Smothered Charred Cabbage
3. Make a Warm Salad
Salads don’t have to be cold and boring, Baked salads are all the rage! Take advantage of the crispy and caramelized cabbage to stir into a warm salad perfect for winter months.
Baked Cabbage Salad with Winter Romesco
Agrodolce Cabbage with Delicata Squash
Crispy Cabbage Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
4. Make Dumplings or Spring Rolls
Both red and green cabbage are great additions to dumplings, fresh rolls and other Asian-inspired dishes. All you need for the recipes below are some rice paper.
5. Turn it into Saurkraut
When in doubt, make some kraut! Did you know you only need 2 ingredients to make sauerkraut?
Red Cabbage & Beet Saurerkraut