We’ve all been there – you go to buy cabbage for one recipe (and it is massive), and then it sits in your fridge for a week. This post will go over 5 unique cabbage recipes to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck with each cabbage purchase!
Why we love Cabbage:
- It is great value, cabbages are quite cheap for how many meals you can squeeze out of them
- They keep for a while! Before cutting cabbage can last up to a month in your crisper drawer! After cutting a half or quarter head can last for about 3 days
- They grow locally in BC and Alberta
- It is rich in nutrients such as vitamins C, A, and E!
How to use Cabbage:
1. Use it in a slaw
Perhaps the most common use for cabbage! Cabbage is a great way to add colour to salads and bowls, either eat on its own or use in a taco!
2. Make Cabbage Steaks
A great way to use a lot of cabbage at once. This is an underrated method of preparing cabbage, did you know when it is cooked is becomes caramelized and crispy much like a brussel sprout?
3. Make a Warm Salad
Salads don’t have to be cold and boring, Baked salads are all the rage! Take advantage of the crispy and caramelized cabbage to stir into a warm salad perfect for winter months.
4. Make Dumplings or Spring Rolls
Both red and green cabbage are great additions to dumplings, fresh rolls and other Asian-inspired dishes. All you need for the recipes below are some rice paper.
5. Turn it into Saurkraut
When in doubt, make some kraut! Did you know you only need 2 ingredients to make sauerkraut?